Scales for Assessing Emotional Disturbance-3 (SAED-3)
Authors: Michael H. Epstein, EdD / Douglas Cullinan / Corey D. Pierce / Jacqueline Huscroft-D'Angelo / Jessica J. Wery
- Adaptive Behavior
- Ages 2 through 21
- Testing Time: 10 to 50 minutes
- Individual Administration
- Qualification Level B
The SAED-3 will help special educators, education diagnosticians, school psychologists, and other professionals identify students with emotional disturbance (ED). It includes a norm-referenced 45-item Rating Scale, a norm-referenced 10-item Screener, a supplemental Screener Decision Summary Form, a Developmental/Educational Questionnaire, and an Observation Form. These components can be used alone or in various combinations to create IEP goals, supplement other Functional Behavior Assessments, document progress, and facilitate research.
- Rating Scale-A standardized measure containing 45 items that can be used as part of a comprehensive ED evaluation. It has five core subscales (Inability to Learn, Relationship Problems, Inappropriate Behavior, Unhappiness or Depression, Physical Symptoms or Fears) and one supplemental subscale (Socially Maladjusted) for use with students ages 12-0 through 18-11.
- Developmental/Educational Questionnaire-A structured interview designed to gather information from a student’s parent or primary caregiver. Interview items are broken into four sections (Personal and Background Information, Birth and Health Information, Student’s Development and Status, and Family’s Status).
- Observation Form-This supplemental assessment tool relies on direct observation methods to assess students’ classroom behavior and emotional problems. It measures observable aspects of the five characteristics of ED (i.e, Inability to Learn, Relationship Problems, Inappropriate Behavior, Unhappiness or Depression, and Physical Symptoms or Fears).
Administration and Scoring
Subscale scores are reported as scaled scores and percentiles. The overall Rating Scale Index is reported as a standard score and percentile.
Reliability and Validity
Internal consistency reliability coefficients for the SAED-3 Rating Scale subscales range from .79 to .92 (median= .86). The average coefficient for the Rating Scale Index is .96. The average internal consistency coefficient for the Screener is .88. Test-retest and interrupter reliabilities for the SAED-3 Screener and Rating Scale sub scales all round to or exceed .80.