Monteiro Interview Guidelines for Diagnosing the Autism Spectrum2 (MIGDAS-2)
Authors: Marilyn J. Monteiro, PhD / Sheri Stegall, PhD
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Ages Toddler through Adulthood
- Testing Time: 30-90 minutes
- Parent/Teacher Questionnaire and Individual Administration
- Qualification Level B
The MIGDAS-2 is a sensory-based process for gathering and organizing the qualitative information needed to diagnose autism in children, adolescents, and adults. The process includes guidelines for gathering information from parents/caregivers and teachers, and for conducting a sensory-based interview with the individual being evaluated.
The MIGDAS-2 was developed as an outgrowth of extensive diagnostic work with individuals on the autism spectrum, as well as their families and teachers, and considerable collaboration with autism evaluation teams in public and private schools.
Key features of the MIGDAS-2 assessment process:
- Interactive interview techniques The MIGDAS-2 provides detailed, concrete guidelines for conducting interactive diagnostic interviews with children, adolescents, and adults suspected of having ASD. The MIGDAS includes protocols for individuals with and without functional verbal language.
- Parent/caregiver and teacher participation The MIGDAS-2 provides structured guidelines for obtaining key information from parents/caregivers and teachers about the individuals behavior in home and school settings.
- Comprehensive qualitative information The MIGDAS-2 is a unique evaluation tool that guides the evaluator to make a diagnosis based on direct interactions with the individual being evaluated and the individuals parents/caregivers and teachers.
- Sensory-based approach Emphasizing the use of sensory materials and encouraging discussion of areas of high interest to the individual, the MIGDAS-2 process provides a system for evaluators to gather distinctive examples of behavior patterns often seen in individuals with ASD.
Administration and Scoring
Administration of the MIGDAS-2 takes 30-90 minutes depending on the format of the interview. The MIGDAS-2 includes a Parent/Caregiver questionnaire and a Teacher Questionnaire, which provide detailed sets of questions designed to gather a comprehensive narrative about the individual being evaluated. They can be used to facilitate an in-person interview or can be completed independently.
The MIGDAS-2 also includes 3 Diagnostic Interview protocols, which are the cornerstone of the MIGDAS-2 assessment process:
- Diagnostic Interview for Individuals with Limited to No Verbal Fluency
- Diagnostic Interview for Children and Adolescents with Verbal Fluency
- Diagnostic Interview for Adults with Verbal Fluency
The MIGDAS-2 can be used by independent evaluators and evaluation teams, and it is ideally suited for a variety of settings, including private practices, schools, and hospitals.
The MIGDAS-2 provides a comprehensive behavioral profile that describes the individuals distinct way of relating to the world, supplementing assessment scores and informing diagnosis and treatment planning. The MIGDAS-2 process is designed to facilitate writing a narrative evaluation report and providing diagnostic feedback using language that is easily understood by parents and others involved in the individuals care.