Gifted and Talented Evaluation Scales2 (GATES-2)
Authors: James E. Gilliam, PhD / Olga Jerman, PhD
The GATES-2 is an innovative, quick approach for identifying students who are gifted and talented. The GATES-2 has five updated and revised scales with 10 items each:
- General Intellectual Ability
- Academic Skills
- Artistic Talent
The GATES-2 was normed on a nationally representative sample.
Reliability and Validity
- Cronbachs Alpha values ranged from 0.96 to 0.98.
- Test-retest correlations ranged from 0.88 to 0.91.
- Interrater reliability correlations ranged from 0.78 to 0.93.
- Diagnostic accuracy studies indicate that the GATES-2 accurately differentiates students who are gifted and talented from those who are typically achieving (sensitivity = 0.84, specificity = 0. 70, ROC/AUC = 0.84).