Dandelion Readers VCe Spellings
Young Beginning Readers
Readability Level: Phonics
Recommended Ages: 5–8
The VCe set contains six decodable books, one book for each of the five long-vowel spellings a-e, e-e, i-e, o-e, and u-e, and one covering all of the spellings. This set complements any systematic phonics program and can be used in any sequence.
Book 1: a-e
Book 2: e-e
Book 3: i-e
Book 4: o-e
Book 5: u-e
Book 6: all spellings
How to use this series
- Encourage the student to say the sounds in the words and blend the sounds together, using “pure” sounds (without adding the “uh” sound after consonant sounds).
- Discuss new vocabulary and talk about the story before reading the book.
- Encourage the student to read the words on the Reading Practice page before reading the book.
- This book may include some words with spellings the reader may not have learned yet.
- When reading these words, ask the reader to sound out the spellings he/she knows.
- Provide the sounds not yet learned. If the reader struggles, offer the whole word.
- Ask the student to point to the words as he/she reads.
- If the reading is labored, reread the sentence after the student has read it to aid comprehension.
- Discuss the story using the questions at the end of the story.
- Play the games at the end of this book to consolidate new learning.